Friday, January 20, 2006

I enjoy doing lab!!

*Gasp. How can lab be interesting? Yeps, after 3.5 years in UTM, this is the first time I've found lab work interesting. Usually the labs we go to are more to machinery stuff...I mean, we do experiment with machines, turbines and stuff, but it isn't so nice...Maybe the lab reports just kill me. Anyhow, this semester we have this lab that wants us to have hands-on experience instead of all theory and no practical. Luckily the section that I registered for have interesting labs lined up for us. The first time we get to produce our own composite product, and last week we dismantled a gearbox, so we got to know how auto-transmission works.

But this week we had Auto-Engine, and we get to dismantle a Proton Wira 1.5L engine to bits. Fun!! Maybe it's because the technician was very helpful, or it's the lubricating oil on our hands that make us feel like we're really engineers (or rather, mechanics)...But it feels so mechanical, y'know...made me so excited for my internship in February. It's fun lah...or have I run out of topics to blog on? haha. but I really had fun, so I just wanted to share this. =) but I am not looking forward to the lab reports that I have to do this semester. Unfinishable. *pukes.

Viva mechanical engineers...




L to R: vun, lili, jennifer---my labmates


Mr. Yap, once my savior. Helped me and housemates set up networking for Streamyx, formatted my PC, deleted all my pics by formatting the wrong drive...Lolz


me in the UTM car during auto-transmission lab


part of the gearbox we dismantled last week


yet another part


yay!me and lili finally assembled the gearbox back to one piece =)


vun, kok and yap dismantling the engine


Proton Wira 1.5L Engine


unscrewing the valve screws


pistons!! and my peace sign *lolz


pistons again?


me and Yap with our engine. i know, my eyes very bengkak & panda..it IS 9am in the morning..




filter the lubricating oil mia..




dismantled d!~


the proof that I did do some work! =)


washing my hands...


with this!!


vun unknowingly became my model =)

2 comments:

narrowband said...

Wei pls help proton design a new engine. (btw, the one u operated on was from mitsubishi.. wira uses mitsu's one). Proton ada sendiri mia, Campro - more than 80% of the engine diperbuat dpd bahan local... belilah barangan buatan malaysia! malaysia boleh!

Btw how's ur bugatti veyron mia engine research been getting along? *winks

H.C. Tan said...

i noe..on the pistons it's engraved the proton symbol and mitsu's. proton bought mitsubishi's technology mar..Campro's the 1st.
=) really learnt a lot thru this lab...now i know what I learnt Mechanics of Machine for.

Bugatti Veyron ah...*feigns amnesia again. HehEz