Monday, January 16, 2006

Feedback

Hmm, recently I've got a question from without borders asking me about malaysian culture on my recent posting of pics while visiting Bali Island, Indonesia and my profile in my blog (yeah the short paragraph on the right,just below my display pic--- i quote

"This sounds fun but how strict is malaysian society? it's supposed to be "islamic" and i don't see veils and all that. sorry for the misconception but this is a real question for me." unquote.

I would say that is a big misconception. Yes. Malaysia is an Islamic nation, but I'm proud to say that Malaysia is a very unique country. It is a multi-ethnic nation which is like a cultural mosaic comprising Malays, Chineses, Indians, indigenous people and mixture of other citizens of other races, expatriates maybe. Refer to this for more info on Malaysia.

Anyway, although Malaysia is an Islamic country, but all its citizens practice diferent types of religions. We have Buddhists, Taoists, Hindus, Christians etc. As for me, I'm a Buddhist. But we respect each others' religions and during times when we celebrate our religion festivities, for me, Chinese New Year, we visit one another regardless of religion and background. We celebrate the Muslims' Hari Raya, Indians' Deepavali, Christmas as well.

Back to the point. Yes, Islam did state that the Muslims are supposed to erm,to put it in easier terms to cover up some parts. Like the veil (tudung), the females are supposed to wear it. But our government do not impose that rule on all of its female citizens. We are free to practice our own religion albeit Islam as its main religion and I'm glad for that. How strict is the society? We are a conservative society, that's for sure. Aren't Asian countries as such? We do not condone disrespectfulness and family is put above others. We do not call our parents by their first names. But we are given the freedom to do what we think is right. Freedom of speech, not so though, maybe. Haha. My point is, no, just because I live in a Muslim country, but I am a Malaysian Chinese, so no, I do not have to wear a tudung =)

===> p/s: pardon my poor English. just woke up not so long ago, and my brain is not functioning properly. Being able to muster up this much is already considered "good" for me. Note: I haven't been using proper English since I graduated from secondary school. My uni uses more of Malay in its syllabi, so there goes all my vocab, grammar.. =( BTW, this entry doesn't make much sense, (no head,no tail) but then..it's my blog. so...

Haha, and yes, Malaysian girls do know how to have fun too *winkz. Oh yeah, the guys too.

Malaysian readers(yes, u frens!!), support sikit ah, comment something about what you like/dislike most about Malaysian culture. =)

Erm, Malaysia boleh?

11 comments:

JoeC said...

I like the fact.....

1. we have lots of food, rich with food.
2. we have nice tropical places and high mountain resorts
3. that our standard of living is not too shabby or too expensive
4. we are given a degree of freedom that some do not have
5. we are safe from typoon, hurracain, earthquake and volcanos
6. we have a stable gov't to build our lives in peace

Admin said...

i concur with JoeC.

narrowband said...

I concur with joec.

In addition, we have friends of different races. This is more prevalent when we were in school. We may practise different religions, but we share the same culture. As such, there's a common bonding that result in these invaluable friendship.

Dave Llorito said...

Amen to all those comments. i guess your answers satisfy my curiosity, thanks to the internet. and yes, i want to have friends in malaysia. my regret was when i failed to make friends during brief visit to kuching several years ago, via brunei.

Irked T said...

I like the fact that Malaysian
1.Speaks all kinds of major
languages and dialects.
2.Really knows how to EAT and
taste the essence of foods
unlike westerners.
3.Are hospitable!
4.Accepts all kinds of culture.

The lowdowns:
1.Poor road planning/public
tranport.
2.Too many litterbugs.
3.Fewer of backbenchers in the
parliament(ruling party
predominate)
4.Less freedom for the media.

Jeremy C said...

I guess joec said it all, and i definitely concur!

I think the best way to experience the culture is by visiting the country, so without borders, come pay us a visit and we'll shoe you a good time :)

Dave Llorito said...

thanks, jeremy for the offer. but i really dont know when i could visit your country. but im hoping-- hope springs eternal, so they say. but really i take on that offer someday. ha ha

H.C. Tan said...

yea without borders, come visit us...see? even the malaysian bloggers are friendlier *wink. i agree with all of you. Malaysia is very rich with culture, and thru out the years hv blended with cultures from other countries and yet maintaining its authenticity

Yeps..its food, the best!! Penang laksa, Penang Char Koay Teow, Penang Hokkien Mee, yada yada. Haha

But of course, its forever in construction roads, misleading road signs which TSN said is so true..but tat's not part of the culture.

In a nutshell, u should come visit one day~ =)

Dave Llorito said...

oh my! now you are extending that offer again. i really should visit your country or ill kill myself trying. yeah, i agree with you re the rich culture, rich food, and all that. seen them in kuching and in interaction with malaysiad delegation in my previous work. i have tried nasi goreng, tastes so good, but i wonder if that is malaysian. is it?

narrowband said...

nasi goreng is simply, fried rice.

i think any asian country has that. *i think*

but laksa, oh yes.. laksa is malaysian. *grins*

alicia said...

hmmm as much as I agree with you hooi ching... don't u think ur post is a little "veiled" more like a tourist ad... than the shhhhh not said things that have been happening in the country lately? Hey not that I'm not patriotic and all that... I do love Malaysia for all its different culture... but that is not all there is... is it :)