Friday, September 19, 2008

so how do you measure success?

I was talking to Charng (via email of course since she's in Sg - dengan bahagianya) and I was asking her how does a woman measure success?

1) to have a high-flying career (meeting clients, having a jet-setting friends, she knows everyone, everyone knows her) but coming home to an empty house every evening

or rather to have:

2) a normal job (maybe clerical job...or maybe my job as a quotations analyst hahaaha which keeps regular office hours) life very unhappening but going home to a loving husband and kids...

Maybe it's the monotonous lifestyle that I lead in KL...but i'm starting to think that option (2) is much more appealing. Hell, even Charng the superwoman thinks it. and us just being 24! But isn't it nice to go home, and the husband provides for you...and you finding yourself looking forward to going home everyday, to cook for your family (and them appreciating the food and its all happy and meriah)??

of course it's not so ideal as we think lah. its not like the husband is always so appreciative...and the kids will complain about the food, and you argue over financial matters...then there's the washing, ironing, helping children with homework (worse still, if still baby have to breastfeed, feed baby change diapers middle of the night) but still im sure there must be some kebahagiaan-ness in it right???? see...got some; like Ayah that speaks happily (sometimes a bit kecil hati-ly) of his kids, and Nyonya Penang who speaks of her 2 kids etc etc. Nice u know...

me...in my blog what do I talk of? lately of nothing lah. very routine. recently joined gym so can talk about how out of form i am, how the whole body hurts, how i am aging (macam all complaints ajer)...i wake up 6.40am-7am in the morning, take a bath, get stuck in the jam till Jalan Tun Razak, go work (or pretending to work), go lunch (walk out under scorching sun, sometimes meredah hujan), then continue pretending to work, then wait till 5pm...drive back sesak-sesak, then back home. lately got additional activity, so go gym awhile...then lately my HPC Monday dinner gang not free, so I don't meet them for dinner...then finally...about 8-9pm, i reach home...to an empty home (got my uncle's gf ar, but we don't talk much to each other)...I eat my dinner, take a bath, then i hid in my room, watch repeatedly my animes/italian movies (i bet a few more rounds and i can act out some scened in La Vità è Bella d) then go sleep...then next day the same...weekends lagi teruks although it's nice to see different people at my aunt's restaurant and to talk with my aunt, uncle and cousins, yet...something is missing. I don't know what. Sense of belonging, maybe? They could make do with or without me, so it doesn't matter if I appear or not...gym...I could talk to people but communication barrier I don't like to attempt to speak in my broken Cantonese.

yes lah it's the time of the month where you feel all down and depressed loh. I miss Penang. And I've just started working for 1 month + 1 week... I need some goal and motivation lei...Maybe I should re-enter the world of clubbing again...but not safe to go home after clubbing lah. sigh. what do i need what do i need...

ok i think my boss detected me blogging

to be continued... (happy weekend guys!!!!!)

p/s: I'm sure things will get better soon...

18 comments:

reddaisie said...

yea..i also wanna be a xiao nu ren..how i wish can retire at 30.
eh u dun go clubbing la...feel empty then go clubbing pulak..go do some charity..go SPCA kah, old folks home kah..go church kah..hhahhaa as long as something which is good for the soul :)
hahhaha

Anonymous said...

I agree with pao pao.. fill your time & life wisely.

Mariposa said...

HUGS!!

there's definitely more to life than routine, and you know that ;) you won best actress in eytc right..that's gotta mean something..hahaha go to italia and become famous actress there =P

but yeah, everything isn't complete without happiness or love..or a husband that can cook! hehe

cheer up bella.

besos.

zewt said...

u have read stories i have written about my boss before right? lately... she has changed.

i would consider my boss a very successful person. close to her retirement, she is the head of the division i am in. she is very technicaly and very well known in the industry. but during a pep talk with her, she said she would give that all up just to be closer to her daughter.

that really put a lot of sense to your option 2...

we often dont know what is success, until we fail to achieve it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Gal...

Dont be do down lei...haha..everything happens for a reason.. :>

Go gym loh...or talk to me in MSN..! (I'm always online...haha...msot of the time).

or u can start thinking of Option 2..not too bad..haha..(but better think twice, its tough!) ..haha.

U take care there...

Love, Jo Ooi

Ben Foo said...

erm i think i prefer to option 2 actually. lol. let those smart ppl do the economics and building bridges and bulidings or create new ipod . what the heck. lol. i just want to stay in a no man island and go fishing everyday lol.

happyashley said...

excuse me... we not free???? more like u fong fei kei us for ur gym lor!!

the gays' power of attraction is stronger than ours.. so dun blame us hor... and every weekend i ask u out u sure say aiya busy this la busy that la.. have to meet out with "other friends" la...

so dun pak pai our name hor...

EISSEJ said...

haha.. hsui so funny so defensive pulak.. hahaha..

yeah gal..
cheer up! meet people, if can meet new people.. most of the time it's quite entertaining.. or meet old friends like HPC group.. or have a goal in mind, like something plausible, like a trip to somewhere, or a car that you wanted.. when you have a goal, life will be much more meaningful ya!

hehe..

hugss!!~

H.C. Tan said...

pao: haha u and ur xiao nv ren stories...cannot...i went to a club last sat night...but also feel not ngam me. lol. maybe i shud take up knitting or stitching...

jem:frankly i dont have much time...a kiss!

janice: how i wish i can be an actress..but in italy..how can??? wait maybe i can be like lucy liu..her speaking english in US...me speaking italian in Italy...lol lol...have u seen how hot the italian chicks are?..think Monica Bellucci

zewt: it's true lor...i always thought my mom gave up her youth to bring us up...but then again, did she regret it? im not sure (my mom very garang one kenot communicate with her...lol)...but i would think being closer to the daughter is more worth it that be so powered...

Anonymous said...

hey HC,

I do read your blog too ! hahaha.

Anyway, i do feel that success can never be measured. The only metric scale is set by yourself and only you can determine if you have accomplished things or not in your life. I would want a high flying career as a guy too, but i would want to have a family one day, with little duncan's running around ! But the time is not yet here...

I agree with Pao, dont go clubbing. Theres a lot of things to do around KL. If you want, try hot air balloon crewing. Its fun !

Or get involve in charity. I know of a home at chow kit, Rumah Nur Salam where they could need volunteers during weekends ( rumahnursalam@gmail.com)

Go SPCA or PAWS, they might need volunteers too !

Cheers !

H.C. Tan said...

jo ooi: aiya, cos PMS mah, cant blame me, blame the hormones..lol. yalah im sure listening to ur scandalous stories would make me feel much better right? lol lol...

breachno: OMG benfoo fishing everyday? lol that's something i would want to see, somehow i imagine u tying tripods and build gadgets everyday..lol..

sweetcheeks: ish, so sensitive..u must've terasa coz u feel guilty that u are neglecting me ar...lol...

jessie: yeah, the last dream i had was to go italy and marry cannavaro, kandas that's why came back here. lol...then how ar now?...muahs girl!

H.C. Tan said...

duncan: heyyy i didnt know u read my blog. ur best fren khek kaisiao one isit. lol. thanks for dropping by...lol...hot air??? aimeh...anything that nid $$$ i dont like leh...lol. as for volunteering, i thought of it also...am thinking of orphanage or sth...bt at the meantime, i will be tutoring my cousin during the weekend! charity starts at home my dear! ....and how is little duncan enjoying africa?

Anonymous said...

i din kai siao la.. ur blog to femes dee... infectious too!! :)

anyways, my thoughts on success is, driving my very own maseratti quattroporte, owning a swimming pool, and some blondes as well as a huge entertainment system..

well dun allow my success story to bother you though :)

haha.

H.C. Tan said...

khek: hahaha thanks for ur kind compliments lah... =P

i can understand ur maseratti 4porte, swimming pool also...but blondes? y not hot jap chicks in bikinis or malaysian chicks? blondes very pretty ar...msian girls also can dye their hair blond also mah. lol

narrowband said...

Okla since I di-request to comment...

I seriously didn't think you are that kind of girl :p But oh well, so now I know la! Still quite 'traditionalist' hor!

H.C. Tan said...

david: haiyo what direquest-request??? hmmmm. not to say traditionalist...but conservative...hehe.

Anonymous said...

Theres no little duncans ok ? hahahaha

Khek ? whose khek ?

Big girl d. need to save $$$ and get married d. ahahaha

H.C. Tan said...

duncan: mai kesi kesi lahhhh u....